Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Permission to...



When the students entered the room last Friday, the paper was piled in the center and the boxes were in different positions in the room. No one quite knew what to do. Hoping to loosen things up, I dove into the pile first, curling into a somersault as I would have done as a child. My last somersault was many years ago and this time I didn't roll so much as grind into the floor headfirst. In spite of my discomfort, people got the idea, and began to investigate.

We talked about the bagful of hall passes rescued from the recycling bin. How they were used to grant permission to do basic things like get a drink of water or visit the bathroom. We wondered what kind of permission people would need to enter this space. Permission to play? to dream? to relax? to disappear?

No comments: